Vital - Spectral Warping Wavetable Synth
Posted 1 year ago by Ian Hughes
Have you checked out the Vital spectral warping wavetable synth? Learn more about it here.
If you’ve ever heard the name “Vital” being thrown around a session, you might know that it is a spectral warping wavetable synthesizer. Spectral warping acts on a waveform's harmonics and can create drastically different shapes and timbres from a simple source. Warping the harmonic makeup of a wavetable can completely create a new set of sounds. You can stretch, shift, smear and skew harmonics up, down, and around the spectrum to explore new timbres and create sounds that weren’t possible with wavetables.
The UI is quite cool - you can see how everything works while playing in this visual synth. Vital has animated graphical displays and everything moves in real-time so you can see what’s going on behind the scenes. Workflows are great - you can quickly design sounds with an optimized drag-and-drop modulation workflow. The modulation preview gives you an idea of what things will sound like before you drop the connection. With this, you can try modulating different destinations by dragging elements around the screen.
There are some unique features in Vital, like stereo-modulation. Stereo split an LFO to have the left channel’s modulation delayed from the right, or give slight stereo time differences to an envelope to create wider stereo effects.
- High quality wavetable oscillators with frequency warping and wave warping
- Efficient unison
- Two routable voice filters with several analog and digital models, each with multiple continuous blending modes
- Audio-rate modulation so you can create clean drum transients and frequency modulate filter cutoff
- Stereo-splitable LFOs with custom and editable shapes
- Keytracked LFO settings
- Modulatable envelopes with custom curves
- Modulation remapping so you can customize the shape of every modulation
- Custom sample source
- Random modulation sources like Perlin, Lorenz Attractor, S&H and Sine Interplation, each with stereo options
- Eight routable effects including a multiband compressor, multi-mode phaser and 16 voice chorus
- MPE support
- Microtonal file support
- Oscilloscope and spectrum viewer
- Preset browser with sort, search, tag and folder organization
Share on these social networks: